Water is the most essential component of life. It is essential for the sustenance of life.
• Water makes up about 70 percent of body weight and plays a vital role in the metabolic reactions taking place within the body.
• It acts as a universal solvent, thus providing a medium for many chemical reactions to take place.
• It also acts as a medium for transporting substances from one part of the body to the other in a dissolved form.
• Water is unique as its density is similar to that of protoplasm.
• Water is also required for many other purposes like drinking, cooking, cleaning, crop
irngation, generation of hydro-electricity, industrial needs, etc.