The National Population Policy 2000 is very important for the following reasons:
(1) It laid emphasis on the planning of families which would enhance individual health and welfare.
(2) It laid emphasis on the Family Welfare Programme which would voluntarily promote responsible and Planned Parenthood.
(3) It provides imparting free and compulsory school education up to 14 years of age.
(4) It provides reducing infant mortality rate to below 30 per 100 births.
(5) It provides for achieving universal immunisation of children against all vaccine preventable diseases.
(6) It provides for promoting delayed marriages for boys and girls.