1. Antonio seems to have it all. Why, then, is Antonio so sad? Why doesn’t he know the cause of his sadness? What guesses do Solanio and Salerio have about the causes of his depression? What lifts his depression?
2. What has Bassanio come to tell Antonio?
3. Why does Bassanio set his sights on Portia? What stands in his way? How does he plan to overcome those barriers?
4. Bassanio lives well beyond his means. Why, then, does Antonio continue to lend him money
willingly, even though Bassanio has yet to pay him back? Would you lend money to him?
5. What plan does Bassanio have to pay Antonio back?