1. Sandy soil : sandy soil has the largest particles among different soil types. It's dry and gritty to the touch and because the particles have huge spaces between them . It can't hold on to water.
2. Silty soil : silty soil has much smaller particles than sandy soil so its smooth to the touch. When moistened , it's soapy, slick. When you roll it between your fingers, dirt is left on your skin.
3. Clay soil : clay soil has the smallest particles among the three so it has good water storage qualities. It's sticky to the touch when wet , but smooth when dry.
4. Peaty soil : Peaty soil is dark brown or black in color , soft, easily compressed due to its high water content, and rich in organic matter.
5. Saline soil : the soil in extremely dry regions is usually brackish because of its high salt content known as saline soil.