Our Environment is an essential part of our life. It is
the source for us to live and to do any of our actions such as eating, playing,
working, enjoying, walking, breathing, hearing and drinking. The environment is
The quality of our life depends on the quality and proper existence of our
environment. Environment includes the atmosphere, surrounding
geographical area, natural resources etc.
Long ago, people could live according to principles dictated by environment in
a way that is harmless to the environment. In these days we are harming and
degrading the environment and indirectly harming ourselves – physically and
biologically. So the ecological system or ecosystem is affected. Its
balance is affected and recycling phenomena of ecosystem are tampered.
Power of the technology and science has enabled the man to exploit the use of
environment for selfish and indiscriminate use and create a problem for
everyone. The causes are:
2. Depletion of water under surface of
3. Growth of population
4. Rapid urbanization
5. Extinction of some species, Loss of
6. Air pollution (greenhouse gases),
drinking water pollution,
river pollution by mixing poisonous
7. Global warming
8. Depletion of ozone layer
9. Depletion of oil and gas reserves and
natural resources like minerals.
We have to adapt to the environment. We have to follow regenerative and
recycling mechanisms. We need to use resources in a discriminate manner.
Otherwise, existence of humanity will become a question. People will suffer
with a lot of diseases. Famines and cyclones will become more frequent. Rains
will become very untimely and damaging instead of helping agriculture.
Action related to environment needs to be done together by governments of
various countries and the United Nations Organization, at a global level. Long
term planning and monitoring of actions of private corporations is needed.
The ways of conservation of environment must be taught to the young.
1. We need to save fuels. Vehicles should be certified for pollution. Run vehicles on minimum pollution and maximum mileage conditions.
2. we need to use green fuels which are eco-friendly.
3. There are many recommendations for eco-friendly materials, and eco-friendly energy consumption techniques and processes. These must be adapted.
4. Energy saving electric bulbs and appliances may be used instead of the old.
5. Use appliances that consume energy with high efficiency.
6. Pollution control boards must take care to stop industrial pollution. Harmful chemicals must be prevented from mixing into public water bodies.
7. Large differences in population densities creates resource shortages in crowded areas. Employment opportunities in rural and town areas should increase so that migration to cities reduces.
8. Suitable mechanisms to regenerate the equal number of trees should be followed, after trees are cut from forests or gardens for various purposes.
9. Use of plastics or other such materials that are not degradable should not be encouraged.
10. Methods for maintaining balance in the ecosystem should be followed. Nowadays we have global ecosystem services at state level and national level.
11. Cleanliness drive must continue. Planting trees and plants should be done regularly.
12. For festivals like Ganesh or Devi nav ratri, Holi, we must use eco-friendly colours only.
13. Improper occupation of forests, lakes, and water bodies must be prevented. Biodiversity of life in various plants, animals, insects and organisms must be preserved.
14. Awareness of issues and side effects must be known to all persons.
many educational , research and engineering institutes on environment science. Environmental science is a synergistic combination of multidisciplinary
fields. It deals with the sustainable development of
the country. The objective is the maximization of
economical, environmental and social benefit to the people of the country at
large. Degrees in environmental
science fetch high profile jobs too.
renewable energy sources are being looked into now in India. Geothermal energy, atomic energy, wind energy
are being tapped. Solar energy
appliances at home have increased a lot.
Many big corporate houses, educational institutes have installed large
capacity solar panel systems. Government
is subsidizing the solar power based appliances.
We need to
change a lot of our living methods and appliances, if want to be completely
environment friendly. Perhaps it will
take a long time before that happens.