Materials used: Dilute HCl, zinc metal(powder), test tube, test tube holder, distilled water, a match box.
1. Take the test tube and wash it properly with distilled water.
2. Hold it with the test tube holder.
3. Add 10ml of dilute HCl into the test tube carefully.
4. Put the powered zinc into the test tube and close the mouth of test tube with your thumb. Some gas will be produced in the test tube.
5. Now light a match stick and bring it near the mouth of test tube.
6. Remove your thumb from the test tube.
You will observe that the lighted match stick will extinguish with a pop sound. This confirms that the gas produced was hydrogen.