Tata Iron and Steel Company was established by Dorabji Tata on 5 August 1907, as part of his father Jamsetji's Tata group. By 1939 it operated the largest steel plant in the British empire. The company launched a major modernization and expansion program in 1951. Later in 1958,the program was upgraded to 2 million metric tonnes per annum (MTPA) project. By 1970 the company employed around 40,000 people at Jamshetpur. In 1971 and 1979 there were unsuccessful attempts to nationalise the company. In 1990 it started expansion plan and established its subsidiary Tata inc. in New York. The company changed its name from TISCO to Tata steel in 2005.