The Dutch enacted forest laws in Java restricting people's access to forests.
* Wood could only be cut for specified purposes like constructing houses and making river boats.
*Wood could be taken from specific forests but under close supervision.
* Villagers were punished if they grazed cattle in young stands,transported wood without a permit or travelled on forest roads with cattle or horse carts.
* First the Dutch imposed rents on lands being cultivated in the forest.
* Then they exempted some villages from these rents if they worked collectively to provide free labour and buffaloes for cutting and transporting timber.This was known as the blangdongdiensten system.
* Afterwards instead of rent exemption foret villagers wee given small wages but their right to cultivate on forest land was still restricted.