Although there are several features, below are the five most prominent characteristics of the cotton industry in India.
• Cotton Industry is amongst few largest industries in India and has more than 1600 textile mills across India.
• Cotton Industry provides large-scale indirect employment to agricultural labors for farming cotton across many kinds of cotton producing states.
• It is also an important direct employment source and accounts for 20% of the total industrial workforce.
• A Large chunk of cotton produced by farmers directly exported and hence foreign revenue is generated.
• A large number of the workforce are involved in the processing of cotton such as spinning, weaving, etc., who are outside of the agriculture market.