Bee keeping is an agro based enterprise,
which farmers can take up for additional income generation.
Honey bees convert nectar of flowers into
honey and store them in the combs of the hive.
Collection of honey from the forests has
been in existence for a long time. The growing market potential for honey and
its products has resulted in bee keeping emerging as a viable enterprise. Honey
and wax are the two economically important products of bee keeping.
of beekeeping as an income generation activity
1. Bee keeping requires less time, money
and infrastructure investments
2. Honey and beeswax can be produced from
an area of little agricultural value
3.The Honey bee does not compete for
resources with any other agricultural enterprise.
4. Beekeeping has positive ecological
5. Bees play an important role in the pollination of many
flowering plants, thus increasing the yield of certain crops such as
sunflower and various fruits.
6. Honey is a delicious and highly nutritious
7. By the traditional method of honey hunting many wild colonies of
bees are destroyed. This can be prevented by raising bees in boxes and
producing honey at home.
8. Beekeeping can be initiated by
individuals or groups
9. The market potential for honey and wax is high