The peace treaty of versailles was harsh and humiliating:
* Germany lost its overseas colonies, a tenth of its population, 75% of its iron and 26% of its coal to Poland, France, Denmark and Lithuania.
* The allied powers dimilitarised Germany.
* The war guilt clause held Germany responsible for the war and damages the Allied countries suffered and Germany was forced to pay compensation amounting to 6 million pounds.
* The allied armies also occupied the resource rich Rhineland.
* Many Germans held the New Weimar republic responsible for the defeat in the war and for the disgrace of the Versailles treaty