The bitter truth is the food items we consume are adulterated in some way or the other. Recently, during the festive season in India, it was observed that the ingredients to make sweets, such as milk, sugar, khoya, ghee, maida, etc are found to be adulterated.

As per the law, no person shall manufacture, sell, stock, distribute or exhibit for sale any article of food, including ready-to-serve food, irradiated food except under a licence issued by the State Commissioner. Manufacture for sale, or sale of adulterated food article is an offence. A complaint can be made to the Food Inspector. The health inspectors in municipalities and municipal corporations are notified as Food Inspectors for purpose of checking adulteration of food and prosecuting the offenders. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is not doing enough to control the adulteration.  

A complaint can also be made to the Consumer court for compensation for the damage caused on consumption of adulterated food item. The Prevention Food adulteration Act, 1954 stands repealed from the date “The Food Safety and Standards (FS &S) Act 2005” passed by parliament comes into force. If the food article is unsafe, substandard, or misbranded you can complain to the Food Safety Officer of the local area. Under the new Act, the Adjudicating Officer or the court trying the offence also can award compensation to the victim.

The Indian government has not done enough to control the adulteration of food products. There is law existing in the country to prosecute the guilty, but the people are not aware of the laws. The common man does not know whom to complain and how they work! The first thing the government should do is to increase the awareness amongst the public regarding the food adulteration, the local authority to whom the complain should be addressed and also provide proper guidelines to the manufacturers.  

1 5 1