In the gurukuls--
1. The pupils stayed with their Guru for their physical, spiritual and mental development.
2. No fees were charged for this type of education but the pupils paid a voluntary contribution known as 'Gurudakshina' ( when they completed their education)
3. Children belonging to both rich and poor families had to stay together.
4. Pupils rendered various duties in the running of the Gurukul. They begged for alms, tended the cattle, gathered fuel,etc.
5. Besides Vedic literature, secular subjects like Logic, Ethics, Military science, Astronomy and Astrology were included in the courses of study.