(1) Evaporation of perspiration cools our bodies.
(2) Evaporation of water from the earth keeps the air moist and
provides the moisture for clouds. Thus evaporation has an important
influence on weather and climate.
(3) It is important also in air conditioning, refrigeration, and
distilling. Substances are evaporated in a partial vacuum to speed
evaporation or to prevent deterioration by heat. Instant coffee and
frozen orange juice are evaporated in this way, and so are blood plasma,
vaccines, and antibiotics such as penicillin. Camphor is purified by
(4) In industry, the principles of evaporation and refrigeration are
used to great extent in the treatment, separation, handling and storage
of materials in any of the three states of matter - Solid, Liquid or
Gas. Distillation concerns the separation of liquid mixtures by
(5) Evaporation of sea water to produce salt
(6) Evaporation ponds are used to prevent pesticides, fertilizers and
salts from agricultural wastewater from contaminating the water bodies
they would flow into.