ARTHUR HENLEY KELLER, was born February 5, 1836, near Tuscumbia, and is a son of David and Mary Fairfax (Moore) Keller.
He was reared and educated in Tuscumbia, where he also received instructions from Governor Lindsay. At the age of nineteen years he entered the law department of the University of Virginia, and when twenty-two years of age received his license to practice from Gov. A. B. Moore, who was then circuit judge.
In November, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the Confederate army. He was detailed as a quartermaster-sergeant under Dr. D. R. Lindsay, of the Twenty-seventh Alabama, stationed at Fort Henry. He had charge of the stores, and after they were destroyed at Florence, he was assigned temporarily to the staff of Gen. Sterling Wood.
In July, 1862, he joined General Roddy’s cavalry as a private, and in September of that year rejoined his old regiment as quartermaster at Vicksburg, with which he remained until July, 1864, when he was made paymaster of General Roddy’s division of cavalry, a position he held to the close of the war.