• Let us try to separate acetone and water from their mixture.
• Take the mixture in a distillation flask. Fit it with a thermometer.
• Heat the mixture slowly keeping a close watch at the thermometer.
• The acetone vaporises, condenses in the condenser and can be collected from the condenser outlet.
• Water is left behind in the distillation flask.
1. What do you observe as you start heating the mixture?
2. At what temperature does the thermometer reading become constant for some time?
3. What is the boiling point of acetone?
4. Why do the two components separate?
NCERT Class 9th Science Ch 2 Is Matter Around Us Pure