CONVERGENT PLATE TECTONICS
1.when two plates move towards each other it's called converging plates
2. force acting is compression force
3. converging plate is also called as destructive plate mechanism as there is always a tendency of destroying one plate.. such as when an oceanic and continental plate converges ,oceanic plate being heavier subducts and gets destroyed by melting into asthenosphere.
4. convergent plate boundaries gives rise to deep focus earth quakes, volcanoes , fold mountains, trenches.
DIVERGENT PLATE TECTONICS
1.when two plates move away from each other are called divergent plates
2. force acting here is tension force
3. These plates are also called constructive plates, as when the plates move away form one another the lava comes out and forms new surface at the boundaries
4. leading to seafloor spreading, mid oceanic ridges as that in Atlantic ocean and shallow focus earthquake