1. Sound is produced by vibrations and is a type of mechanical
2. Sound travels in compression
waves and at a speed much slower than light.
3. Sound needs a medium (solid, liquid, or gas) in which to
4. In a compressional wave, matter vibrates in the same direction
in which the wave energy travels.
5. All waves exhibit certain characteristics: wavelength, frequency,
6. As wavelength increases frequency decreases.
7. The speed of sound depends on three things: the medium
through which the waves travel, the density, and the temperature of the medium.
8. Reflection and interference patterns are used in ultrasonic
technology, including sonar and medical