Wind power or wind energy is the energy extracted from wind using wind turbines to produce electrical power, windmills for mechanical power, windpumps for water pumping, or sails to propel ships.Large wind farms consist of hundreds of individual wind turbines which are connected to the electric power transmissionnetwork. According to the recent EU analysis for new constructions, onshore wind is an inexpensive source of electricity, competitive with or in many places cheaper than coal,gas or fossil fuel plants.Offshore wind is steadier and stronger than on land, and offshore farms have less visual impact, but construction and maintenance costs are considerably higher. Small onshore wind farms can feed some energy into the grid or provide electricity to isolated off-grid locations
*Continuous sources of energy
• Clean source of energy
• No emissions into the atmosphere
• Does not add to thermal burden of the earth
• Produces no health-damaging air pollution or acid rain
• Land can be sued to produce energy and grow crops simultaneously
• Benefits local communities (jobs, revenue)
• For most locations, wind power density is low
• Wind velocity must be greater than 7 mph to be usable in most areas
• Problem exists in variation of power density and duration (not reliable)
• Need better ways to store energy
• Land consumption
how it is produced?
ans: Wind turbines convert the kinetic energy in the wind into mechanical power. This mechanical power can be used for specific tasks (such as grinding grain or pumping water) or a generator can convert this mechanical power into electricity to powerhomes, businesses, schools, and the like.
hope helped u friend...