Social studies subject is important. What is learnt during studies , is used later in life.
1. Some persons could make their career in that. For example, some become IAS or other government related services. One needs to know social structure of the administration in the country.
2. One needs to know the fundamental rights that a person has and obligations/duties that he/she has.
3. One must know the laws that he/she should follow, in one's country or outside. That is useful for each person.
4. One must be aware of the other places in the world. One may live some where else in future. So one must have a minimum knowledge of the geography, history, significance of the world, that is relevant.
5. We need to live in a society. So interpersonal relations are important. We face problems. Then we need to contact other related authorities and follow procedures. Social studies does inform some of these points.
6. One must know about the world he/she is in. After one becomes a major, one has to vote. So one must know the good or bad about the scenario.