Project Uni gauge is an ongoing exercise by Indian Railways to standardize most of the rail gauges in India at 1676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gauge. Project Uni gauge seeks to standardize the rail gauges in India by converting most of the Metre gauge and Narrow Gauge tracks to Broad Gauge track.
1) Indian Railways have become more efficient,
2) the current break of gauges can now be avoided
3) the freight-carrying capacity has increased
4) shortening of the routes with many re gauged links has taken place
5) A standard system has been established and there is uniformity when it comes to rail gauge