According to Rutherford electrons revolve around the nucleus.When a particle is in circular motion it will have acceleration and radiate energy.The revolving electron would lose energy and finally fall into the nucleus.So the atom should be unstable which is not so.This is the drawback of Rutherford's model of atom.
Rutherford's observations after gold foil experiment were:
* Most of the space inside the atom because most of the particles passed straight through the gold foil.
* There is a positive charge for the atom occupying very little space because some of the alpha particles were deflected by small angles.
* All the positive charge and mass of the atom are concentrated in a very small volume because one out of every 12000 particles rebounded.
The features of Rutherford's model of atom:
* There is a positively charged centre in an atom called the nulceus.Nearly all the mass resides in the nucleus.
* Electrons are revolving around the nucleus in well defined orbits.
* Size of the nulcleus is very small compared to the size of the atom.